With so many cars traveling them, California’s roads are dangerous places. In the blink of an eye, even the most careful drivers can become entangled in a multi car accident. The crash can cause physical injury, emotional trauma and property damages. Also, people involved in these complex accidents may also have to face financial and legal challenges the involved parties wrangle over matters of fault and liability. Why struggle to sort out this difficult situation alone? At Rizio Law Firm, we’re ready to help you navigate the complicated aftermath of a multi-car crash.
The Mechanics of a Multiple Car Accident
Collisions involving more than two vehicles, multi car accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- A sudden slowdown or stop on the freeway can lead to a series of rear-end collisions. A distracted driver at the rear may have caused the accident, or it could be that the driver in front stopped for no reason and he or she would be at fault.
- Road debris, such as spilled loads from tractor-trailers, a blown tire, or some other object are also examples of items that can cause accidents.
- Bad weather: Fog, rain, sleet or snow can result in visibility issues and slick road surfaces that make driving hazardous.
- Speeding: Drivers traveling at high speeds have less time to react. One wrong move can set off a deadly chain reaction.
- Drowsy drivers: Fatigued drivers are plagued by slower reaction times and brief periods of inattention that can set the stage for accidents.
- Distracted drivers: Using a cell phone, reading a map, eating, grooming, interacting with passengers and even boredom can result in a lapse in attention that causes an accident.
Liability and a Multiple Car Accident
With multiple drivers and vehicles involved, sorting out liability after a multi-car accident can be a challenge. A thorough investigation is required to determine who is at fault, especially since more than one driver may be found responsible. Why does this matter? The driver or drivers who are at fault are typically liable for the expenses incurred by the people caught up in the crash. To add a layer of complexity to an already complicated situation, California is a comparative fault state. If you’ve been in a crash involving multiple cars, both your liability and your ability to recover compensation for your damages can be impacted by the degree of fault that is assessed to you.
How Can a Lawyer Help?
Who decides fault when a multi car accident occurs? The highway patrol has other priorities during the immediate aftermath of an accident, so the matter is often left to the courts and the insurance companies. That’s why it’s crucial that anyone caught up in this type of accident enlist the aid of an experienced lawyer. Your lawyer will act quickly to gather and preserve the necessary evidence, work with experts to reconstruct the accident so that the facts are clear, and use their expertise to present your case effectively.
At Rizio Law Firm, we understand that a multi-car accident can have serious, life-altering consequences and leave you struggling with matters like property damage, present and future medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Let us fight for you. We’ll work diligently to protect your interests and secure the compensation that you deserve. To schedule your free consultation, contact us online or call 1-888-292-8888 today.