Dangerous Road Conditions Accident
You are driving at night, and the roads are slick with rain. You follow a curve in the road, and suddenly, it becomes very dark. You hear a “thunk” in your front end and your car lurches to a stop. Your head snaps forward and back. You hear the hiss of the airbag before you pass out. When you open your eyes again, you are being taken from the car to a gurney. You have a whiplash brace around your neck. As the EMTs wheel you to the ambulance, you look up and see that three streetlights are burned out. You realize then that you are the victim of a dangerous road conditions accident.
Is the Accident Your Fault?
Even if you are the only driver on the road, you are not necessarily at fault for your injury. Many dangers that put motorists at risk result from the negligence of the entity responsible for road maintenance. Some of these dangers include:
- Burned out street lights
- Malfunctioning traffic lights
- Faded lines on the roadway
- Missing road signs
- Rutted pavement
- Poorly marked work zones
- Untrimmed foliage obscuring signage
- Obstructions such as temporary signage
- Objects blocking traffic
If any of these conditions were the cause of your dangerous road conditions accident, you might be entitled to compensation from the government entity that was negligent in keeping the roadway safe. Your best course of action is to consult with personal injury lawyers in Orange County who have experience in such matters.
What Factors Determine Road Accident Liability?
Your attorney must establish the following to confirm liability against a government entity:
- The defendants is responsible for the road where the accident occurred
- A specific road hazard caused the accident
- A reasonable person/entity could have anticipated that the hazard would likely cause an accident
- The danger resulted from the entity’s failure to maintain the road safely or make prompt repairs
What Kind of Damages Can I Recover?
If you were hurt in a dangerous road conditions accident, you have troubles enough; you not have to foot the bill for the road department’s negligence. However, given the difficult nature of negotiating with government entities and their lawyers, it is essential that you have an experienced and caring personal injury lawyer on your team. That attorney will calculate present and future damages from your accident, including:
- Medical expenses
- Ongoing therapy
- Pain and emotional distress
- Loss of income
- Future cost of disability, if any, resulting from the accident
Additionally, if the wrongful death of a loved one resulted from the incident, your attorney will seek funeral expenses other associated costs.
Do I Need Legal Representation?
Following an injury accident, you are already at a disadvantage due to your physical and mental distress. You need an experienced attorney to protect your best interests with insurance adjustors and the defendant’s legal team. Your attorney will help you:
- Determine if you have a viable liability claim
- Take care of the paperwork required by the government entity
- Negotiate on your behalf for a fair settlement
- File a civil lawsuit if necessary
- Gather the evidence required, including witness testimony, photographs of the scene and accident reports, to build a compelling case
We Can Help
At Rizio Lipinsky we understand what is at stake in the aftermath of a dangerous road conditions accident, and we will fight for the damages you and your family are due. Call us at 1-888-292-8888 or fill out our contact form today to arrange a free consultation.
- This article should only be used for informational purposes. It does not constitute legal advice, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship with anyone. If you need legal advice, please consult an attorney in your community.