Uber Accident Lawyer
When it comes to California’s commuter culture, there is no denying the role that Uber and other rideshare companies now play. For commuters who are tired of driving in heavy traffic or want a useful alternative to taxis, calling an Uber is a widely accepted option. In fact, Uber provides customers around the globe with more than 40 million rides each month.
With so many Ubers on the road, vehicle accidents are all but inevitable. What happens when there is an accident involving an Uber driver? Who is responsible for compensating pedestrians, passengers and other drivers for their injuries or damages? California law requires everyone who owns or operates a motor vehicle to carry insurance. In addition, transportation companies, including rideshare companies like Uber, must carry their own insurance policies. If you’ve been injured in an accident with an Uber driver, an experienced Uber accident lawyer can help you determine the best strategy for securing the compensation that you deserve.
The Three Rideshare Periods
To help sort out the matter of insurance and liability, California separates a rideshare driver’s time behind the wheel into three distinct periods. It also sets requirements for the insurance coverage needed during each of these periods. The three rideshare periods are as follows:
- Period one. The driver is active, has the app open and is awaiting a passenger match. During this period, rideshare businesses are required to have a minimum of $200,000 in liability insurance for their driver. They must also have primary coverage of at least $50,000 for death and personal injury per person and at least $100,000 for death and personal injury per incident. Finally, they must have $30,000 in coverage for property damage.
- Period two. The driver has accepted a match but has not collected a passenger yet. Any time spent driving to the passenger’s location falls within this period. At this point, rideshare companies must provide primary commercial insurance coverage of $1 million.
- Period three. Period three encompasses the duration of the rider’s experience, stretching from when they enter the vehicle until they exit it. Rideshare companies must continue to provide primary commercial insurance coverage of $1 million. Also, they must add $1 million in coverage that protects against uninsured and underinsured motorists.
Common Uber Accident Scenarios
Motor vehicle accidents can take many forms. Typical scenarios for Uber accidents include the following:
- An Uber driver hits a pedestrian. With a weight of several tons, even a small car can cause catastrophic harm to a person so pedestrian accidents can be especially devastating. In California, pedestrians have the right of way when they step into the roadway, even if they are not in a crosswalk. Someone struck by an Uber driver would be able to seek compensation from both the individual driver and Uber.
- An Uber driver hits another vehicle. When an Uber driver is at fault in an accident with another vehicle, the other driver can seek the compensation that they are owed from the individual driver’s insurance. If the driver’s policy does not fully cover their damages, they can turn to Uber’s insurance for the difference.
- An Uber passenger is injured in an accident caused by their driver. When an Uber driver causes an accident that results in an injury to their passengers, the passengers have the right to compensation. They can seek it from the driver and Uber.
- An Uber passenger is injured in an accident caused by another driver. When passengers riding in an Uber are injured in an accident caused by another vehicle, they do not have to chase the other driver. Because the expectation that Uber will provide safe transport exists, injured passengers can turn to their driver and Uber for the compensation that they deserve.
What to Do After an Uber Accident
Whether you were involved in an Uber accident as a pedestrian, motorist or passenger, if you suffered damages as a result of someone else’s negligence, you have the right to be compensated. After an Uber accident, seek out any necessary medical attention. Then, contact a personal injury attorney with experience handling Uber accidents. What else can you do to help your case? If you haven’t already done so, download or take a screenshot of your trip information. Also, ask your attorney for help in preserving and obtaining a copy of the driving information that Uber has for your driver.
Why Hiring an Uber Accident Attorney Is a Smart Move
Uber accident cases are rarely straightforward. With the potential for multiple insurers and various parties that can be held liable, it’s vital that you enlist the aid of a legal professional who is familiar with these situations. A skilled Uber accident attorney can review your case, help you preserve and collect the necessary evidence, advise you about your options, and negotiate with insurance companies for you. Alternately, they can represent you in court. Insurance companies have their own lawyers, and their goal isn’t to see that victims receive fair compensation; their job is to protect the insurance company’s bottom line by keeping settlements as low as possible. That’s why it is important to enlist your own lawyer who can help you understand how to protect your rights and what compensation you deserve.
Rizio Lipinsky is an award-winning law firm that has successfully collected hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation for its clients. When you want a skilled Uber accident lawyer, who is fully prepared to fight for you, turn to our team. Contact us today to arrange a free consultation.
- This article should only be used for informational purposes. It does not constitute legal advice, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship with anyone. If you need legal advice, please consult an attorney in your community.
A Review of Rizio Lipinsky
Uber Accident Lawyer
I was involved in a very bad car accident 2 years ago and I had a different lawyer at the beginning, but he wasn't able to do much with my case, he was slow and not really invested in it, he didn't even pay my medical bills with the first settlement, so I was having credit problems, a very bad situation!
Then I was introduced to Rizio Lipinsky, they managed not only to clean my credit in record time and pay off all my bills but also he also settled the case very fast.
It's difficult to find a lawyer that really care about you as a client and doesn't see you only as money, Rizio Lipinsky is different, they are very invested and really care about clients, I will for sure recommend them, you cannot go wrong with them, they follow you step by step, they are always available for any questions or concerns and they explain to you the process very well in order for you to understand what's going on with the case!
My lawyer was very knowledgeable, kind and always ready to listen and help you out in any way he can! I'm so glad I found Rizio Lipinsky.