Uber Accident Lawyer
Chances are, if you have searched for an “Uber accident lawyer near me,” you are probably wondering how an Uber accident lawyer can help you. Well, you’ve come to the right place. Our rideshare accident attorneys at Rizio Lipinsky Law Firm have prepared the following information to answer the questions most commonly asked by people searching for a Uber car accident attorney.
When it comes to California’s commuter culture, there is no denying the role that Uber and Lyft companies now play. For commuters who are tired of driving in heavy traffic or want a useful alternative to taxis, calling an Uber driver is a widely accepted option. In fact, Uber provides customers around the globe with more than 40 million rides each month.
With so many Ubers on the road, vehicle accidents are all but inevitable. After all, rideshare drivers are just as likely to be involved in an accident as any other driver.
So, what happens when there is an accident involving an Uber driver? They are technically considered independent contractors, not employees, of Uber. So who is responsible for compensating those who have been injured while in an Uber vehicle, or perhaps pedestrians and other drivers for their injuries or damages?
These are the questions that an Uber accident law firm can help you sort out.
California law requires everyone who owns or operates a motor vehicle to carry personal auto insurance (liability coverage). In addition, transportation companies, including rideshare companies like Uber, must carry their own insurance policies.
If you’ve been injured in an accident with an Uber driver, experienced rideshare accident lawyers can help you determine the best strategy for securing the compensation that you need and deserve through a personal injury claim.
The Three Rideshare Periods
To help sort out the matter of insurance and liability, California separates a rideshare driver’s time behind the wheel into three distinct periods. It also sets requirements for the insurance coverage needed during each of these periods. The three rideshare periods are as follows:
- Period one. The Uber driver or Lyft driver is active, has the app open and is awaiting a passenger match. During this period, rideshare businesses are required to have a minimum of $200,000 in liability insurance for their driver. They must also have primary coverage of at least $50,000 for death and personal injury per person and at least $100,000 for death and personal injury per incident. Finally, they must have $30,000 in coverage for property damage.
- Period two. The driver has accepted a match but has not collected a passenger yet. Any time spent driving to the passenger’s location falls within this period. At this point, rideshare companies must provide primary commercial insurance coverage of $1 million.
- Period three. Period three encompasses the duration of the rider’s experience, stretching from when they enter the vehicle until they exit it. Rideshare companies must continue to provide primary commercial insurance coverage of $1 million. Also, they must add $1 million in coverage that protects against uninsured and underinsured motorists.
Common Uber Accident Scenarios
Motor vehicle accidents can take many forms. Typical scenarios for Uber accidents include the following:
- An Uber driver hits a pedestrian. With a weight of several tons, even a small car can cause catastrophic harm to a person so pedestrian accidents can be especially devastating. In California, pedestrians have the right of way when they step into the roadway, even if they are not in a crosswalk. Someone struck by an Uber driver would be able to seek compensation from both the individual driver and Uber.
- An Uber driver hits another vehicle. When an Uber driver is at fault in an accident with another vehicle, the other driver can seek the compensation that they are owed from the individual driver’s insurance. If the driver’s policy does not fully cover their damages, they can turn to Uber’s insurance for the difference.
- An Uber passenger is injured in an accident caused by their driver. When an Uber driver causes an accident that results in an injury to their passengers, the passengers have the right to compensation. They can seek it from the driver and Uber.
- An Uber passenger is injured in an accident caused by another driver. When passengers riding in an Uber are injured in an accident caused by another vehicle, they do not have to chase the other driver. Because the expectation that Uber will provide safe transport exists, injured passengers can turn to their driver and Uber for the compensation that they deserve.
What to Do After an Uber Accident
Whether you were involved in an Uber accident as a pedestrian, motorist or passenger, if you suffered serious injuries as a result of someone else’s negligence, you have the right to financial compensation for your property damage, as well as medical expenses and medical treatment.
After an Uber accident, seek out any necessary medical attention. Then, contact personal injury attorneys with experience handling Uber and other rideshare service accidents.
What else can you do to help your case? If you haven’t already done so, download or take a screenshot of your trip information. Also, ask your attorney for help in preserving and obtaining a copy of the driving information that Uber has for your driver.
Why Hiring an Uber Accident Attorney Is a Smart Move
Uber accident cases are rarely straightforward. With the potential for multiple insurers and various parties that can be held liable, it’s vital that you enlist the aid of a legal team of personal injury lawyers who are highly experienced in pursuing accident claims against rideshare services.
A skilled Uber accident attorney can review your case, help you preserve and collect the necessary evidence, advise you about your legal rights and legal options, and negotiate with the ridesharing services’ insurance company for you. Alternatively, they can represent you in court if it becomes necessary to take your Uber accident case to trial.
Insurance companies have their own lawyers and insurance adjuster, and their goal isn’t to see that victims receive fair compensation for their medical bills. Their job is to protect the insurance company’s bottom line by keeping settlements as low as possible. That’s why it is important to enlist a rideshare accident attorney who can help you understand how to protect your rights and get the maximum compensation you deserve and need.
Rizio Lipinsky is an award-winning law firm that has successfully collected hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation for its clients. When you want a skilled Uber accident lawyer, who is fully prepared to fight for you, turn to our team. Either call our office at 888-292-8888 or contact us today using our online contact form to arrange a free consultation.
- This article should only be used for informational purposes. It does not constitute legal advice, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship with anyone. If you need legal advice, please consult an attorney in your community.
A Review of Rizio Lipinsky
Uber Accident Lawyer
I was involved in a very bad car accident 2 years ago and I had a different lawyer at the beginning, but he wasn't able to do much with my case, he was slow and not really invested in it, he didn't even pay my medical bills with the first settlement, so I was having credit problems, a very bad situation!
Then I was introduced to Rizio Lipinsky, they managed not only to clean my credit in record time and pay off all my bills but also he also settled the case very fast.
It's difficult to find a lawyer that really care about you as a client and doesn't see you only as money, Rizio Lipinsky is different, they are very invested and really care about clients, I will for sure recommend them, you cannot go wrong with them, they follow you step by step, they are always available for any questions or concerns and they explain to you the process very well in order for you to understand what's going on with the case!
My lawyer was very knowledgeable, kind and always ready to listen and help you out in any way he can! I'm so glad I found Rizio Lipinsky.