Riverside Pedestrian Accident Attorney
The following information has been prepared to help answer questions you may have.
When you live in a city like Riverside, it’s easy to spend at least part of your time car-free. A short walk to the local eateries, a few steps to the bus stop, and a couple of minutes to the coffee shop on the corner are all part of your everyday lifestyle.
However, as in all urban centers across the country, the majority of people in Riverside own and operate cars every day. And as a pedestrian, you are especially vulnerable to being hurt, or worse, should you be struck by a vehicle.
If that happens, your best strategy is to call a pedestrian accident attorney in Riverside for legal advice without delay. Personal injury attorneys are law firms experienced in helping pedestrian accident victims get fair compensation from the negligent driver’s insurance company. They are able to help victims get financial compensation for the costs of their medical care, their lost wages, and even their pain and suffering.
And if the incident tragically resulted in a fatality, they help the surviving members and dependants file a wrongful death claim as well.
Pedestrian Accident and Pedestrian Fatality Statistics
The statistics regarding pedestrian accidents show they are not uncommon.
Recent studies show that California is one of five states that have the highest percentages of pedestrian car accident deaths. These five states – including Florida, New York, Texas, and Arizona as well as California – are where 43 percent of all such fatalities occur, even though they claim just 30 percent of the total population in the country.
According to another United States federal study, a pedestrian is killed in an accident involving a car somewhere in the U.S. every 90 minutes. Moreover, 129,000 pedestrians a year seek treatment for crash-related injuries.
Deaths of pedestrians due to traffic collisions in Los Angeles alone rose to a high of 134 in 2017, which represents an 80 percent increase since 2015. This occurred despite the city’s best efforts to make the streets safer for those who travel by foot.
All these statistics verify just how dangerous it is on the streets, especially for pedestrians. If you become a victim of a careless driver’s mistakes, be assured that the help of a pedestrian accident lawyer in Riverside County is just a phone call away.
This type of personal injury lawyer can help walk you through the personal injury laws and show you your legal options against negligent drivers. They are experienced in dealing with insurance companies in personal injury cases and the filing of a personal injury claim following traffic accidents.
Who Is at Risk for a Pedestrian Accident?
Key risk factors that make pedestrians more likely to become car accident casualties include:
- Age: Those who are 65 and older run the highest risk for pedestrian injury than any other age group. Children are also especially vulnerable to pedestrian accident deaths, accounting for one out of every five fatalities.
- Alcohol or drug use: Nearly 50 percent of pedestrian/car collisions involved alcohol abuse by at least one of the people involved. Alcohol and drugs impair a driver’s ability to maintain a safe duty of care.
- Speeding: Driving faster increases a motorist’s chances of injuring or killing a pedestrian.
- Time of day and location: Nighttime on city streets is the riskiest time and place for pedestrian / motor vehicle accidents.
California Pedestrian Laws and Safety
As a pedestrian, you are especially vulnerable because you aren’t as well protected as motorists in their vehicles. However, you can still find yourself partially liable for a car accident if you fail to observe the applicable laws. Drivers are required by California law to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians in crosswalks. But as a pedestrian, you should not:
- Step into the street in moving traffic
- Attempt to cross where there is no crosswalk
- Cross against the “Don’t Walk” indicator
- Cross against a red light
- Fail to look before you begin crossing, even when the sign says “Walk”
You technically have the right-of-way as a pedestrian. However, when you neglect to act responsibly, such as stepping directly in front of a moving vehicle, you assume a degree of liability for an accident. In such a situation, a pedestrian accident attorney can help you protect yourself and fight for your rights.
Types of Injuries in Pedestrian Accident Cases
A motorist, who is shielded by a vehicle, may emerge with only a few scrapes after an accident. However, because pedestrians are exposed and vulnerable to harm, the impact of being hit by a car often results in serious injuries. Some of the most common pedestrian injuries are as follows:
- Head and neck trauma
- Traumatic brain injury
- Broken bones in the legs
- Chest and abdomen damage
Any of these injuries come with long-term implications, including ongoing medical bills, physical and behavioral therapy, and even long-term care. If you or a loved one have been injured in a pedestrian/motor vehicle collision, a pedestrian accident lawyer can help you protect yourself against such long-term economic damages.
What to Do If You Are Involved in an Accident
Depending on the severity of your injuries in the aftermath of an accident, you are likely to need a representative to protect your legal interests. If you do not yet have a pedestrian accident attorney, you can ask a friend at the scene to do the following if you are unable:
- Call law enforcement to report the accident
- Make notes about what happened
- Take photos of the scene and the vehicle(s) involved
- Get the contact information from the vehicle’s driver
- Find witnesses at the scene and record their observations
- Get the contact information for witnesses
- Protect your rights as a victim by not commenting on liability
- Get a copy of the police reports
- Contact a pedestrian accident lawyer
Reach Out To Our Experienced Riverside Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
The experienced personal injury attorneys at Rizio Lipinsky of Southern California have the knowledge and successful track-record you need as the victim of a pedestrian auto accident.
We go the extra mile to protect you from financial loss and future economic hardship due to injuries caused by motorist negligence or aggression. We work to ensure you receive maximum financial compensation following a serious accident.
Get in touch with us today at 888-292-8888, or submit our contact form online to schedule your free initial consultation.
- This article should only be used for informational purposes. It does not constitute legal advice, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship with anyone. If you need legal advice, please consult an attorney in your community.