Riverside Child Injury Lawyer
As any parent knows, children delight in exploring their surroundings and engaging with the world around them. Unfortunately, when things go wrong, the innocence and inexperience that bring such wide-eyed wonder to childhood can leave kids ill-prepared for hazardous situations. Accidents happen, and they can cause serious injury. However, not all bad experiences can or should be dismissed as simple accidents. Carelessness and negligence are often underlying factors, and when negligent behavior on the part of a person or organization causes harm to your child, you have the right to seek compensation for their injuries. A skilled Riverside, California, child injury attorney can use their experience in fighting personal injury cases to help.
Statistics Regarding Child Injury
The statistics regarding childhood injuries can make the world seem like a truly scary place:
- Each year, more than 14 million children suffer injuries.
- More than 9 million children are treated in emergency rooms each year because of injuries resulting from accidents.
- Some 12,000 children die as a result of injuries resulting from an accident.
Common Causes of Childhood Injuries
Threats to a child’s safety can take an almost infinite number of forms, and they can be found lurking in a diverse assortment of locations. Lack of appropriate supervision or proper care can have devastating results. Defective or negligently designed products can endanger children of all ages. Medical malpractice can have effects that last a lifetime. Attractive nuisances, dangerous spaces that serve as temptations, can lure children in and leave property owners liable for any injuries that they sustain, even if the child was a trespasser who lacked the owner’s consent. Common causes of childhood injury include the following:
- Dog bites and other animal attacks.
- Automobile accidents.
- School bus accidents.
- Pedestrian accidents.
- Accidents on the playground or sports field.
- Accidents at private or community swimming pools.
- Incidents involving dangerous or defective toys.
- Incidents involving dangerous or defective products.
- Cerebral palsy and other birth injuries.
- Medical malpractice and birth injuries.
- Adverse reactions to prescription drugs.
- Injuries resulting from improper supervision.
- Child molestation and abuse.
Injuries Often Seen in Children
While most children will suffer the occasional scraped knee or banged elbow as they grow up, some will face far more serious injuries. Suffocation, choking, and poisoning can trigger neurological damage and issues with the throat and gastrointestinal system. Burns can cause pain, scarring, and loss of functionality. Orthopedic injuries are common and can be particularly challenging for children since they are still growing. Falls and motor vehicle accidents can lead to contusions, lacerations, broken bones, internal injuries, and other damage. When child injuries are severe, their physical and emotional effects can be lifelong. Sadly, child injuries can also lead to death. These injuries can happen almost anywhere, including at home, daycare, school, a recreational venue, a public space, and on the road.
The Fallout From Childhood Injuries
The fallout from a child injury can be sweeping for both the injured child and their family. The child may face a temporary or permanent disability or disfigurement. Treatment of their physical injuries can also result in substantial medical costs; since children are still growing, future medical bills are of particular concern when they are injured. Psychological trauma may also require professional intervention. In addition to the pain and suffering caused by the injury, there may be stress from missed schooling and a need for tutoring to catch up with their peers or teach new learning strategies to compensate for any disability. In some cases, the injuries may inhibit a child’s earning potential in adulthood. Speaking of adults, overseeing the child’s health care, and dealing with medical bills and insurers can put a great deal of stress on the adults in the family, especially if they must take time off from work. Ultimately, a child’s injury can create physical, emotional, and financial strain that can impact the entire family.
How a Child Injury Lawyer Can Help
How can consulting an experienced child injury lawyer help? A skilled attorney brings remarkable insight and professional expertise to the table. As an advocate and an ally, they can offer invaluable assistance in a variety of ways:
- A personal injury lawyer with experience in child injury cases can help you understand the situation, explain your options, and offer advice about how to proceed.
- They can identify any parties that might be considered liable for your child’s injury.
- Your lawyer can deal with insurers and other entities involved in the case so that you don’t have to.
- They can consult with health care professionals to determine the full extent of the child’s injuries, what treatments will likely be needed now and in the future, and the costs associated with that care.
- They can investigate the accident site, gather material evidence, collect witness statements, and work with other professionals to reconstruct the accident and build a persuasive case.
- Your lawyer can provide information about the types of compensation that you might seek. Some possibilities include compensation for current and future medical bills and current and future pain and suffering. Damages for disfigurement or disability may also be an option. In addition, compensation may be requested for reductions in your child’s quality of life and reductions in their future earning capacity.
- Depending on the details of the case and your chosen strategy, your lawyer can negotiate a settlement on your behalf or represent you in court.
When you’re seeking a California child injury attorney, who will fight diligently to secure the compensation that your child deserves, turn to Rizio Lipinsky. As top personal injury attorneys serving the people of the Golden State, we have recovered more than 100 million dollars in awards and settlements for clients involved in personal injury and wrongful death cases. Contact us today to request a free consultation at our Riverside office.