Today we look at the last part of our 6 part series on wrongful death. We sincerely hope that you have…
Today we look at part 3 of our 6 part series on wrongful death and explore the reasons why you would want to hire an attorney during this difficult time. It is our hope that you find this series of articles helpful after suffering the loss of a loved one or friend.
Why Hire an Attorney?
Unless you have a strong legal background and a clear head in the aftermath of a tragedy, hiring an attorney is your best option for recovering damage compensation. Only an experienced attorney who maintains objectivity can make sure that you make the strongest case possible.
Additional reasons to retain legal assistance before you decide to represent yourself include:
- Preservation of evidence at the scene: Unless the police officers investigate the scene as a possible criminal case, someone needs to see that important evidence does not get lost. Your attorney has the resources and personnel to take care of evidence preservation while you deal with the aftermath of the wrongful death.
- Locating and interviewing witnesses: Witness testimony could be critical to recovering damages. An attorney can locate witnesses to the accident and extract the information that will support your case.
- Dealing with insurance companies: An attorney will represent your best interests in dealing with insurance companies anxious to settle quickly. With wisdom gleaned from experience with wrongful death cases, the attorney is a good judge whether a settlement will cover your current and future losses.
- Meeting the deadlines set by state statutes and the court: Your local jurisdiction and the state of California mandate specific periods in which you can file your wrongful death claim, prepare your case and appear before a judge. Typically after the sudden death of a loved one, sticking to such a schedule is the farthest thing from your thoughts. Wrongful death lawyers have the experience and legal acumen to ensure that your lawsuit progresses according to the prescribed timeline.
- The stakes are high for you and your family: The loss of a loved one is not only difficult to deal with emotionally but also a potential financial nightmare. Initially, you may be facing costly medical and funeral expenses for which you are unprepared. In time ahead, you and your family may suffer from the loss of the decedent’s income, mental health issues stemming from the wrongful death that causes loss of income and other related expenses you have not even imagined yet. Hiring an attorney with experience in calculating these losses is by far the best approach to secure your economic future.
- Objectivity: The aftermath of a wrongful death is fraught with intense emotions. While this is natural, it is not conducive to effective action in a court of law. A wrongful death attorney provides the objectivity that is essential to building a presenting the strongest case possible. Your lawyer has the keen focus and clear-headedness that is typically lacking in friends and relatives of the deceased.
- Negotiation skills: Data compiled by the Bureau of Justice Statistics show that the majority of wrongful death claims never make it to a court of law. Instead, the plaintiff accepts a settlement or the case is closed with no damages ordered. You need a skilled negotiator in your corner to produce a good outcome when working with insurance representatives or attorneys for the liable party. From understanding the nuances of the negotiation from a legal perspective to working objectively in confrontational situations, a skilled attorney is best qualified to fight for your just compensation.
Once again, if you found this blog article because you are currently grieving the loss of a loved one, we want you to know how sorry we are for your loss. It is our hope and prayer that you are experiencing extra love, support and understanding from everyone around you. You do not need any extra stress or pain in your life right now. That’s why it is our sincere hope that this article has helped you, even in some small way, by providing timely answers to your questions.
Should you decide to pursue legal action, we hope these articles helps you know how to choose the best legal representation for your wrongful death action so you fully obtain just compensation for your losses. Your attorney should have a proven record of success in such cases as well as a strong background in liability litigation.
Other articles in this series
- Part 1: What is Wrongful Death?
- Part 2: Who Can Sue for Wrongful Death?
- Part 3: Wrongful Death – Why Hire an Attorney?
- Part 4: Why Sue for Wrongful Death?
- Part 5: How Do I File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
- Part 6: How Do You Prove Wrongful Death?
About the author:Rizio Lipinsky has an established history of providing committed and compassionate legal representation for the families of wrongful death victims in Southern California. The attorneys at Rizio Lipinsky have earned a solid reputation for success. Call them at 888-292-8888 to schedule a free initial consultation, or fill out the contact form today.