San Bernardino Slip and Fall Lawyer
A slip and fall is no laughing matter. When dangerous conditions cause a tumble, physical pain, life-altering injuries, lost wages and costly medical bills can result. If you are harmed in a fall caused by a property owner’s negligence, you may be able to recover compensation with the help of a San Bernardino slip and fall lawyer.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall
It can happen to anyone at any time. In a second, a slip and fall accident can change your life. While you may be disoriented or injured, your actions after the incident can have a significant impact on your ability to secure compensation, so it is vital that you proceed with caution.
Anyone injured in a slip and fall should take the following steps:
- Report the incident immediately. Speak with a manager, landlord or owner promptly to report your fall. Avoid going into detail, but be sure that they document the event in a written report. Request a copy before leaving the scene.
- Seek out any necessary medical care. If you were injured by your fall, get medical care as soon as possible. Your health is your priority. Also, your medical records can be used as evidence if you decide to seek compensation for your injuries.
- Document everything. Determining liability in a slip and fall case can be tricky, so it is vital that you gather as much evidence as possible. Take photos of where the fall occurred, collect contact information for any witnesses and make notes of your recollections. Also, preserve the clothing and shoes you were wearing when you fell.
- Limit discussion. Avoid talking about the incident until you have spoken with an attorney. Do not place or accept blame. Do not provide statements to managers, landlords, owners or insurance companies. Do not discuss the event on social media. Any comment you make might be used against you later.
- Consult an attorney. Proving a slip and fall case can be difficult. An experienced slip and fall lawyer is an invaluable ally, so it is crucial that you consult one as soon as possible.
The Facts on Slip and Fall Accidents
Each year, more than one million Americans experience a slip and fall injury. Many factors can contribute to a fall. Icy walkways are a common winter worry. Wet, slippery floors are another source of danger. Clutter or obstacles that create a tripping hazard can also be problematic. Damaged or uneven floors, walkways, and stairways are often culprits in falls. It is worth noting that not all of the things that set the stage for a fall are lurking underfoot. Inadequate lighting that makes it difficult for those traveling through an area to see and avoid hazards can also be an issue.
The law requires that property owners maintain their premises. If the property owner either knew about the hazard or should have been aware of it and did not make a reasonable effort to correct the issue or warn people using the space about it, they can be held liable for a slip and fall accident that occurs as a result of their negligence.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
Sometimes, a fall results in only minor injury. However, the results can be more serious. Roughly one-quarter of people injured in slip and fall incidents suffer moderate to severe injuries. For others, the consequences are more dire. Nearly 20,000 people die as a result of injuries sustained in a fall each year. A variety of injuries are commonly caused by slip and fall events:
- Cuts, scrapes, and abrasions.
- Soft tissue injuries like bruises, sprains and torn tendons.
- Broken bones.
- Spinal cord injuries.
- Head injuries.
Why You Need the Help of a Slip and Fall Lawyer
If a slip and fall has left you dealing with pain, medical costs, lost wages or other damages, California law allows you to seek financial relief that is equal to your losses. However, you will need to build a compelling case to secure the compensation that you are owed. Property owners are legally required to maintain their property, but they are not automatically deemed responsible for any slip and fall accident that occurs on their premises. There must be evidence of negligence. That is why you need the assistance of an experienced slip and fall lawyer. A skilled attorney will investigate the accident, gather the necessary evidence to prove fault and establish your damages, and help you secure the compensation that you deserve.
For more than 20 years, Rizio Lipinsky has been helping injured individuals and their families achieve justice and obtain compensation. If you are seeking an experienced slip and fall lawyer in the San Bernardino area, let us assist you. Contact us today to discuss your case.
- This article should only be used for informational purposes. It does not constitute legal advice, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship with anyone. If you need legal advice, please consult an attorney in your community.